escalation problems

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Thu Oct 3 21:06:00 CEST 2002

A couple comments here.

First, if what you say is true, then you've got a host definition in the
escalation.cfg file.  Assuming you didn't have the same definition in
hosts.cfg, I'm surprised that nagios didn't squawk when you restarted it.

Second, you say "it never seems to read them".  That comment is completely
open to interpretation.  Are you saying nagios never parses the file?  Are
you saying that those specific entries get ignore (and what's your proof)?
Are you saying that you never get alerted?  How did you test this?  Please
provide more detail.

Third (and this might be one for Ethan to comment on), the
notification_interval of the host definition is shorter than either
escalation definition.  The documentation says that, "In any case where
there are multiple valid escalation definitions for a particular
notification, Nagios will choose the smallest notification interval."  But
I've not been able to find anything which says what happens when the
notification_interval is one value in the host definition, and a different
interval in the escalation definition.

(A recent experience here suggests that the host definition
notification_interval (in our case, 60 mins) supercedes the escalation
definition notification_interval (in our case, 30 mins).  I'm not sure
whether this was by design.  I'm personally interesting in knowing what was
'supposed' to happen.)

jc