ANN: Nagios 1.0 beta 6 RPM packages for Red Hat Linux

Ramiro Morales rm-rpms at gmx.net
Wed Oct 2 16:29:29 CEST 2002

Hi,

I've just uploaded to

  http://www.rmorales.com.ar/rpms/nagios/SRPMS/

a source package (.srpm) of the Nagios RPM package set I maintain.

Nagios Version packaged is 1.0 beta 6.

These packages contain modifications to improve usability
on a Red Hat Linux environment as well as some fixes.

They are based on previous work I had done on a similar
package set of NetSaint 0.0.7 (so they inherit some fixes
and usability modifications I made at that time and remain
in the .spec file currently shipped inside the Nagios tarball)
plus additional Nagios-specific tweaking.

(The list of fixes The annoucement email message I sent to the
netsaint-users mailing list can be fount at:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=1603316
)

Also included are three scripts that help in the process
of migrating from a NetSaint installation to Nagios.
(among them, a modified version of the status retention
format conversion Perl script I posted days ago to the
list:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1114033&forum_id=
1873

)

Feedback, bug reports, patches are welcome so I can try to
get the packages ready for the Nagios 1.0 release.
For these lucky Red Hat Linux 8.0 users that bought a CD
set or managed to download the ISO images, I would like
to hear about your experiences with the package buiding
process on that platform.

I'm realizing now I forgot to document in the file below
(first TODO mod for the next package release) the
command line switches you can specify at build time to
rpm/rpmbuild to influence some ./configure
and run-time behaviour:

o Performance data handling method to use. By default we will use
  the file-based one (as existed in NetSaint).
  You can select the external command based method (the defaut for
  Nagios) by specifying
  --define 'PERF_EXTERNAL 1'

 in the rpm commandline

o Embedded Perl stuff, specify
  --define 'EMBPERL 1'
  in the rpm command-line to enable it.

An excerpt of the included README.RPM file follows:

RPM package of Nagios network monitor for Red Hat Linux (RHL) systems

* Target supported RHL versions are: 6.2 to 7.3

  I'll try to test the packages with RHL version 8.0 and to update
  them if necessary (that RHL release will ship with Apache 2 so
  I dont'w know if the web interface stuff: CGIs and httpd.conf
  additions will need to be modified).

* The packages are derived from a similar set of packages of Nagios'
  antecessor NetSaint (from the same author Ethan Galstad) that I
  maintained. The Nagios packages include additional fixes, modi-
  fications and features.

* Indeed, this package provides some extra scripts that help to
  migrate from a previous installation of my NetSaint 0.0.7 (last
  official upstream version) RPM packages (last package revision was
  release 25rm). The scripts are

	n2n-config.sh		Convert object definition configuration
				files from the old NetSaint line-based
				format to the new template based format
				used by Nagios. The files with the new
				format are created under the
				/etc/nagios/netsaint directory so you
				can examine them and maybe save a lot
				of typing to define again all your
				hosts, services contact {,groups}, etc.
				The files located in /etc/nagios are
				not affected.

	n2n-logs.sh		Copies the archived NetSaint logs from
				the location where they were kept in
				the NetSaint RPM to where Nagios would
				put them so you can keep your historic
				data about the status of your services/
				hosts. Format hasn't changed between
				NetSaint and Nagios.

	n2n-retention.pl	Converts the retention data file
				status.sav (if any, that is if you were
				using the feature with NetSaint and are
				goint to use it with Nagios too) from
				the NetSaint format to the Nagios format.

  and are located in the /usr/lib/nagios directory.

  Don't forget to stop both NetSaint and Nagios before running these
  scripts.

* The packages' pre/post (un)installtion scripts send messages to
  syslog to inform of the progress of the actions they perform.
  All the message are prefixed with the "nagios/rpm" string to faci-
  litate searching, the priority used is user.notice.

* When (un)installing the nagios-www sub-package (it contains all the
  HTML interface stuff plus the CGIs), the package scripts try to
  detect if Apache is running on the system and then try to

    o Reload Apache
    o Gracefully restart Apache

  in that order (from less to more intrusive) to make the Apache
  configuration changes performed enter in effect.

  There is a great degree of variation in the actions supported by the
  Apache Sys V initscript (/etc/[rc.d/]init.d/httpd) in the supported
  RHL versions so our scripts take this in account and strive to be
  well behaved.

Regards,

--
Ramiro