Passive Checks via NSCA -- Excedrin Headache Vat Numero Uno

Jason Marshall jasonm at kelman.com
Tue Oct 1 22:51:12 CEST 2002

> When I run my wrapper script, it tells me "1 data packet(s) sent to
> host successfully." which certainly sound positive.

Can you ensure that on your server, you have passive command logging
turned on, and then ensure that you're seeing your nsca commands coming in
over the network (ie, they show up in the log).  If you don't see them in
there, run a tcpdump or snoop or whatever, to ensure that you're really
receiving the nsca packets from the client.

> The problem is that the service never gets out of "PENDING" status.
> In the Service Detail screen, the 'Last Checked' column is marked
> "N/A", the 'Attempt' column is perpetually '0/3', and the 'Duration'
> and 'Status Information' columns are both regularly updated. (By this
> I mean that the Duration numbers are increasing and that the Status
> column regularly updates the time when the next Service Check is
> scheduled.

You can also check to see if your passive services are accepting passive
updates by writing something into the named pipe command file.  For
instance, you could do this:

First, check to make sure your date command returns a time_t-style
timestamp (seconds since Jan1/70, 00:00:00) if you do this:

  date +%s

If not, you're on your own as for how to get a valid timestamp into this
command:

  echo "[`date +%s`] PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;hostname;descr;return\
  code;plugin-output" >/location/of/your/nagios.cmd

That's all one line, not split...

If, on the local machine, you cannot get passive updates to update, it's
not an NSCA problem!

> ----------------
>

> I don't know if it's important, but I'll mention also that I'm using inetd on nagios
> server to activate NSCA.
>

> This is driving me batty and totally ruining my day, so any input is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks a heap,
>
> John
> --
> | John Fox <jjf at mind.net> | System Administrator | Internet Ventures Oregon |

---
Jason Marshall, Unix Geek, Kelman Technologies, Inc., Calgary, AB, Canada.

  From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
    "Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a wild monkey."

  "I have great faith in fools:
     Self confidence my friends call it."  -Edgar Allan Poe