strange "CRITICAL" problem

Joshua Daniel Franklin joshuadfranklin at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 1 18:24:16 CEST 2002

I recently set up nagios to check about 30 network devices.
Everything seems to be working great, with the exception of
one email server that is networked over a 802.11b wireless connection.
Nagios *constantly* reports the SMTP service as "Critical", despite
a message of "SMTP OK - 0 second response time".

At first I tried adding a custom check_smtp command with a 30-second
timeout, but it still reported the same. I noticed that it always had
"Attempt 3/3" instead of "1/3" so I thought I might try setting
max_check_attempts higher. Setting it to 5 immediately made the status
page go to "Attempt 5/5". I thought this was weird to I set
max_check_attempts to 500 and restarted. Now it always reads "Attempt 500/500"
This doesn't seem right.