1000+ processes then Nagios fails

Rasmus Plewe rplewe at ess.nec.de
Fri Nov 29 00:32:11 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:45:12PM +0100, Christian Vanguers wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 07:15:35PM +0100, Rasmus Plewe wrote:
> >
> > What do I do if I want my checks spread out as evenly as possible, but
> > for some reason[1] I'd like to execute _all_ checks for certain a
> > couple of hosts at the same time?
>
> Hmm, very good question.
>
> What you are asking is not so common :-)

Well, our system is the about 49th uncommon system on earth, currently
(http://www.top500.org/dlist/2002/11/). ;-)

> I think you should use passive checks from your monitoring server,
> and dedicate a distributed server on a system that will only be used
> for this particular need. (i mean the use of nsca).
>
> In that case, the distributed server will run nagios, you will
> parallellize all checks, and set inter_check_delay_method to 'd' or
> the intervall of your choice.

Forgive me for answering before researching this matter very
thoroughly (it's past midnight here). I'm not sure I understand what
you mean by monitoring server, distributed server and the hosts.

What I sense is some kind of "cascaded nagios server": I set up my
main nagios server for the whole system minus those special hosts.
Then I set up a second nagios server (or a second instance on the same
machine) to run inter_check_delay_method=n (not 'd'; I want all checks
at the same time) on those special servers. Now I need a method for
the main nagios server to get the check results from the the second
server. Worst case would be that I end up with two independent nagios
servers, in an ideal world it would be possible to merge those two.
What do you think?

Fortunately I'm not under time pressure, as the system monitoring was
due roughly half a year ago, a couple of weeks more or less won't make
much of a difference. And since it's for internal use only I will get
away with an inelegant, but working solution...

Regards,
         Rasmus