Using Sendmail with MS Exchange

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Nov 26 20:50:19 CET 2002

You'd need to do the following.  Let's say your mail server is
mailhost.example.com:

if you're using DNS:
- set an MX record in DNS to resolve to your mailhost
- alternatively, set an A record in DNS
- optionally, read the DNS & BIND book, by O'Reilly

if you're using /etc/hosts:
- set an alias, eg:

  192.168.0.5   enterprise.example.com  mailhost.example.com

/etc/resolv.conf will allow you include/exclude DNS (read the man page)

sendmail.cf is where you should be defining mailhost.example.com.  The quick
and dirty way would be to set the Dj macro:

  Djmailhost.example.com

If you want to do things the right way with Sendmail, throw yourself into it
and try various tweaks.  You may find that you prefer to hack sendmail.cf
directly.  There's another way of tweaking (call it 'coarse tuning', as I've
been in a situ where I just couldn't finesse the environment like I needed
to) with, I believe, m4 macros.  Perhaps someone could correct me on this.

If you're completely unfamiliar with Sendmail, my recommendation is to
replace it with something else, unless you're a veteran of the School of
Hard Knocks with lots of spare time on your hands.  Postfix and Qmail would
be my first choices for a versatile server, otherwise for what you're
looking for, nullmailer will probably do the trick.

jc