Hello People!

emily zhou zhoue at algonquincollege.com
Tue Nov 26 15:31:49 CET 2002

Hi John,
I tried to make notes to you, last year I installed from source code
(because I was totally new at that time, I spent one month to got
everything working, read document very closely and strictly follow the
instructions), this year I upgraded it from binary version
mrtg-2.9.17-sol8-sun4u-local for making my life easier.
1. Downloading: It's totally depends on which unix you use, if you use
linux, maybe you also can find binary, if you from source code, just like
the process of installing Nagios.
2. Creating cfg file: when you compile done, no error, after that is
creating configure file (MRTG's kernel),  use the tool
/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker, I gave you one of my script for creating
cfg file:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker \
--global 'WorkDir: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/mrtg' \             (web
server docs directory)
--ifref=ip        \
--ifdesc=descr     \
--community public \                                 (snmp stuff, ask
person who deal with router)       --global 'options[_]: bits,growright' \

--output /usr/local/apache/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg \
(directory holding your cfg file)
192.198.34.2
(router or switch you want to monitor)
3. Running:  put cron job, every 5 minutes
          /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg /usr/local/apache/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg
4. Make front page: use /usr/loca/mrtg-2/bin/indexmaker
my case: (script)
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/indexmaker
--output=/usr/local/apache/htdocs/mrtg/index.html \
--title='ITS Traffic Graph'  \
/usr/local/apache/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg

Anyway I suggest you got chance to read the documention first, it's better
understanding every parameter's meaning and then working on it, it's
faster, you'll find lots of things you could customize it, it's a
fantastic tool.
In my system, no any connection between MRTG and Nagios. Totally two
different tools.
I only gave you some clue, hope helps.
Good luck,
--Emily