Help (Getting the icons to work on the Map)

Potter, G M (Greg) GPotter at MarathonOil.com
Fri Nov 22 17:30:41 CET 2002

Emily,

I am glad you got it working.  It is probably more due to your hard work than my help.  I don't know why your configure loaded -lXpm and -lX11 and mine didn't.  If I run out of things to do I might look at it.  I only monitor about 20 workstations/servers so it was easy for me to manually enter the 2d coordinates.  I experimented with a couple of hosts to see where the would show up on the custom map and then just filled in the rest.  I tried to lay them out so they would appear on the screen approximately where they are in the building.  I put all of my servers on the bottom of the map (corresponds to the basement).  Then the first floor workstations above that, and second floor above that.  There is really no magic just a little type A personality involved.  I am using the old Netsaint plugins, I haven't tried the Nagios ones yet.  When I first downloaded the Alpha version of Nagios there weren't any available and the website said to use the Netsaint ones.  The only change I had to make was to re-name check_netsaint to check_nagios.  I had some previous experience with Apache and knew about the SetENV parameter from that.  It is easier that creating a symbolic link for every library you need.

Are you monitoring any routers or switches?  I am just getting ready to add those to the list.  I would be interested in any ideas you have about the best way to check those type of devices.

Good Luck!

Greg