strategic question: MySQL vs. no MySQL vs. RRDTool

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Thu Nov 21 16:48:36 CET 2002

Basically, everything that gets stored in the status log is inserted
into the database, at the least. Utilizing a database as a backend gives
you much greater flexibility for reporting purposes. For example, we
have a contract in which we are required to maintain 600 days of
utilization and availability information and to be able to generate
reports on that information over arbitrary timeperiods i.e. 8x5 M-F for
a year or 24x7 for 3 weeks in August. We don't have that flexibility
within Nagios. We're also more easily able to correlate that with
information from Cricket and Rancid-like information as that's all
stored in the database as well.

--
Marc

RRDTool