[NRPE]Good Job

Pascal Miquet p.miquet at hafiba.fr
Thu Nov 21 10:37:29 CET 2002

Well if you think from the nagios server part, we're allowed to use
function with args, and this is very fine. For example if you need to
tune more precisely the check_disk1 on the remote host, you'll need to
update the nrpe.cfg on the remote, and we don't have a quick idea of
what parameters are.
So may be getting parameters on the nagios server may be a good idea.
Any way, I've done like the samples, I mean use a specific function on
my remote server to check my services.

Note that I've take a look on the FAQ, and there discover the ssh
plugin, and I was thinking on using this, but may be on another step.

The needs where: HOW could I get results from remote command execution
on servers. And the NRPE Addon is A solution.

Thanks for your help
Pascal Miquet

Le jeu 21/11/2002 à 05:43, Ethan Galstad a écrit :

    On 20 Nov 2002 at 10:52, Pascal Miquet wrote:

    > Just to say that the NRPE is for me a good thing. I took less than an
    > hour to compile, install, and check things are working.
    >
    > I'm just surprised that commands seems to be frozen, I mean no
    > arguments from the Nagios server, just request the command and that's
    > it.
    > Note, I didn't test to pass arguments to the command on my nagios
    > server.
    > Should be better to give arguments on the command executed on the
    > remote server.
    >
    > Any way,
    > Thanks a lot for this nice feature.
    > Pascal Miquet

    I might add support for command arguments in NRPE in future versions
    (because its been requested so much), but I see this as a big
    security problem more than anything.  Allowing unauthenticated users
    to execute plugins with arbitrary arguments on remote systems is
    probably not a good idea.  In order to make it safer, I'd have to add
    encryption and some means of authentication/authorization.  Seems
    better to just use check_by_ssh if you really need that
    functionality.

    Ethan Galstad,
    Nagios Developer
    ---