[NRPE]Good Job

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu Nov 21 05:43:23 CET 2002

On 20 Nov 2002 at 10:52, Pascal Miquet wrote:

> Just to say that the NRPE is for me a good thing. I took less than an
> hour to compile, install, and check things are working.
>
> I'm just surprised that commands seems to be frozen, I mean no
> arguments from the Nagios server, just request the command and that's
> it.
> Note, I didn't test to pass arguments to the command on my nagios
> server.
> Should be better to give arguments on the command executed on the
> remote server.
>
> Any way,
> Thanks a lot for this nice feature.
> Pascal Miquet

I might add support for command arguments in NRPE in future versions
(because its been requested so much), but I see this as a big
security problem more than anything.  Allowing unauthenticated users
to execute plugins with arbitrary arguments on remote systems is
probably not a good idea.  In order to make it safer, I'd have to add
encryption and some means of authentication/authorization.  Seems
better to just use check_by_ssh if you really need that
functionality.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---