Nagios in a large production network

Brian Wilson wilson at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 20 22:00:25 CET 2002

yOn 20 Nov 2002, James Pifer wrote:

> I'm looking to replace our current network monitoring software. Last I
> looked at this product it was Netsaint, so it's been a little while.
> I've downloaded the latest version, but I have a few questions.
>
> Is it "safe" to install Nagios on a production network and let it
> discover everything?

Nagios doesn't do network discovery... You'll have to use something else
for that, then export that data and build your nagios configs off of it
somehow.  We're running nagios in a production environment with no issues.
You tell it what to monitor and what type of things to do to your devices,
so in essence, you have complete control over what nagios will do.  We're
dumping CiscoWorks RME database *cringe* since it does a fairly decent job
of network discovery... importing that data into mysql, then generating
nagios configs from mysql.

> Are there any precautions I should be aware of?
> Can Nagios collect and handle SNMP trap events? I don't see anything on
> the web site about it.
>
> If not, can anyone recommend software to take care of that piece?

I don't think nagios can deal with traps..

Why not setup a ucd-snmp's snmptrapd and have it listen for your traps and
perform actions based on certain criteria.   You can set it up to perform
actions (fire off email, etc) depending on the mib recieved.

Brian

--
Brian Wilson  <wilson at ncsu.edu>      Network Analyst
Communication Technologies, ATD      W: 919.513.3472