PING shows UNKNOWN?

Robert Hopek rhopek at axis9.com
Tue Nov 19 22:45:33 CET 2002

I have set Nagios up on a laptop at home and have gotten everything
working just fine. I then compiled everything on a server on the
Internet and then copied my *.cfg files from my laptop out to the same
directory on the server, but I get the following line on all hosts in
'Service Detail' (IP is different for each server obviously and I've
censored it for the purpose of this message):

PING	UNKNOWN		11-19-2002	15:51:04	3d 22h 40m 36s 1/3	/bin/ping -n -U -c
5 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

This does not occur on the laptop. I did notice that the size of the
/libexec/check_ping plugin is about 10k smaller on the server than on
the laptop. I just attributed this to the fact the Server has RH 7.3
(x86) and the Laptop is Mandrake 8.2 (PPC). If I run the check_ping
command from the command line with the same params I'm passing in
Nagios, it returns what is expected. Same thing if I execute that
command shown in the Service Information field (the last part) above.

As a result of the above, Nagios thinks everything is down (from a host
level).

Has anyone seen this issue before? I'm running b6.

Thank you,
Robert