Odd behavior

listuser at neo.pittstate.edu listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
Tue Nov 19 21:26:03 CET 2002

I just experienced some odd behavior with 1.0b6.  I added a new host with
with check_ping and check_NNTP.  I made it part of the appropriate
hostgroup, added the needed line for that cfg to my nagios.cfg, uploaded
everything, and restarted nagios.  The new host wouldn't appear under
Service Detail, Host Detail, or Status Overview.  Under Status Summary it
also didn't appear and my hostgroup total number was one short because of
it.  Under Status Grid (and this is the oddest part) only two of ten total
hosts appeared under that hostgroup.  Yet when I the Service Status
Details for that host group showed all 9 (minus the new one that hadn't
shown up yet).  View Config showed the host just fine.  No errors were
outputted either.  Status Map also showed the new host.  It as then that I
noticed I hadn't yet given it a parent.  I did that, uploaded the changes,
and reloaded and everything started to work.  Seems to me that Nagios
could use some sanity checking for configuration file oddities.  I've seen
a number of things that just didn't work with no errors that turned out to
be a typo or non-printable character.

My $.02

Justin