Dual Notification Problems

Kevin L. Papendick papendick at nexserver.com
Fri Nov 15 15:58:56 CET 2002

I have had Nagios setup and running well for several weeks now, but
yesterday ran into a notification problem that has me stumped.  I've
been sending messages via e-mail only, but now I am trying to get pager
notifications running as well.  The problem I have is that it is now
sending messages to the pager but no longer sends them to e-mail.  This
is happening for both host and service alerts.  My contact configuration
is as follows:

I have this generic template...

# Generic contact definition template
define contact{
    name                                         generic-contact

    service_notification_commands  notify-by-email
    host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email

    register                                     0
}

And this contact defintion...

# Contact Definition: papendick
define contact{
    use                                            generic-contact

    contact_name                             papendick
    alias                                           Kevin L. Papendick
    email                                          papendick at nexserver.com
    pager                                         XXXXXXX at skytel.com
    service_notification_period         24x7
    host_notification_period             24x7
    service_notification_options        w,u,r,c
    host_notification_options            d,u,r
    service_notification_commands   notify-by-email,notify-by-epager
    host_notification_commands
host-notify-by-email,host-notify-by-epager
}

1) Yes, the real pager number is actually in the real file.
2) At first I tried:
    service_notification_commands   notify-by-epager
    host_notification_commands       host-notify-by-epager

My intial thought was that the "use generic-contact" e-mail notification
would be inherited and then the epager appended.  I then modified it as
you see above, but it still only send to the pager.

Here's an example entry from the log file:

[1037340600] HOST ALERT: ns1;DOWN;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out
after 10 seconds
--- Snip! ---
[1037340690] HOST ALERT: ns1;DOWN;HARD;10;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out
after 10 seconds
[1037340690] HOST NOTIFICATION:
porter;ns1;DOWN;host-notify-by-email;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after
10 seconds
[1037340690] HOST NOTIFICATION:
papendick;ns1;DOWN;host-notify-by-epager;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out
after 10 seconds
[1037340690] HOST NOTIFICATION:
broad;ns1;DOWN;host-notify-by-email;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10
seconds

As you can see, other e-mails were sent (sucessfully) and prior to my
adding my pager, I would get the e-mail also.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin L. Papendick
Programmer Analyst
Nexserver, Inc.