Nagios and VPN clients

Mike McClure mmcclure at pneservices.com
Mon Nov 11 01:18:53 CET 2002

> Gidday,

Howdy.

> We have an upcoming need to expand our Nagios monitoring to
> cover clients with VPN's. Has anyone worked out a means of
> deploying Nagios to monitor such clients ?

Seems pretty simple to me.  Make the Nagios box into a VPN client.  Is this a trick
question?

If that's not an option, can the remote systems send email?  I would then try the
Remote Execution Layer stuff and send it from the monitored system back to Nagios
box via SMTP.  If SMTP isn't allowed, use SSH or FTP or some other protocol that is
allowed.

> As you know, you have to be a participant in the VPN to be able
> to monitor.

Well, that depends.  You might not have to be, if you use REL like I mentioned above.

Also, what kind of VPN are you talking about?  PPTP?  IPSec?

--
Mike McClure, CCIE # 5125, CISSP # 30232
PNE Services, Inc. -  http://www.pneservices.com
mmcclure at pneservices.com
mobile: 913-636-5590