monitoring multiple devices with snmp

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Nov 6 17:09:57 CET 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Hannu Liljemark wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I read through the Nagios user profiles and people seem to
> be monitoring SNMP-capable things like switches with Nagios
> with the help of in-house scripts that use snmpwalk output
> or mib-files to add things to services definitions. Couldn't
> see any of those included with Nagios, so I guess they really
> are in-house :)
>
> Anyways, the question is, what kind of "tricks" do you folks
> have to ease the process of adding multiple ports on switches
> to Nagios' list of things to monitor? Is there anything else
> I can do apart from hack together some perl or ba(sh) for the
> job? Not just switches, but anything that can provide lots of
> info via SNMP where typing each entry would be painful :)
> Maybe a little vague question, but any ideas that come close
> to my rambling is welcome :)
>
> check_ifstatus seems to go nuts when I run it agaist Cisco 2950,
> but its output for a Solaris host with SNMP enabled looked
> reasonable. I've played with check_snmp and check_ifoperstatus
> as well.

It should be relatively easy to modify check_ifstatus to report number of
ports in each state rather than printing out each port and state.

Most folks do not monitor every port on every switch - just too much data
with little added value.  Monitor the switch itself and services/hosts
that are hanging off it.

When you do have a large number of OIDs and want a set of massaged
results, you are better off writing a script to ease the process.

--

-sg