monitoring multiple devices with snmp

Hannu Liljemark hannu.liljemark at laurea.fi
Mon Nov 4 20:09:48 CET 2002

Greetings,

I read through the Nagios user profiles and people seem to
be monitoring SNMP-capable things like switches with Nagios
with the help of in-house scripts that use snmpwalk output
or mib-files to add things to services definitions. Couldn't
see any of those included with Nagios, so I guess they really
are in-house :)

Anyways, the question is, what kind of "tricks" do you folks
have to ease the process of adding multiple ports on switches
to Nagios' list of things to monitor? Is there anything else
I can do apart from hack together some perl or ba(sh) for the
job? Not just switches, but anything that can provide lots of
info via SNMP where typing each entry would be painful :)
Maybe a little vague question, but any ideas that come close
to my rambling is welcome :)

check_ifstatus seems to go nuts when I run it agaist Cisco 2950,
but its output for a Solaris host with SNMP enabled looked
reasonable. I've played with check_snmp and check_ifoperstatus
as well.