event handler problems

Roberto Moral roberto at quantiva.com
Sun Nov 3 23:34:40 CET 2002

I run into the same problem a while back and posted to this list.. never
got a response. I trouble shooted the event_handler and found out why
the proccess was not being re-started. If you do a search for me name in
the archives you should find it. Maybe you'll have more luck getting any
kind of reply on this issue.

good luck,

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 06:48, Arndt Koenigsfeld wrote:

> I have a problem with the execution of the event_handler scripts, its
> not the same problem Luke Johnson had, because my scripts are not
> properly executed, but in fact executed.
>
> I took the example script from the documentation (modified with sudo
> ldap restart) and it works fine if i run it as user nagios manualy.
>
> If i kill the ldap service with killall slapd, the eventhandler gets
> executed but the restart through the eventhandler does not work.
>
> I can see that the event_handler executes the restart command twice, but
> effectivly its not starting the service. After this the service gets
> hard critical and the event_handler stops the heartbeat, doing exactly
> what i want.
> Same problems occur with any other service.
> I figured out that a ldap start works but adding a line ldap stop
> before does not. I tried /sbin/service stop; /sbin/service start with
> same results.
> Perhaps the reason for the problem is the exit code from the stop
> command. It fails because there is no process to stop anymore.
> On the other hand the scripts works fine if i start by hand as user
> nagios and i took the example....
>
> Does anyone have an idea what is wrong or what i missed ?
> I use nagios-1.0b6 (tried nagios-1.0b3 with same problems) on RH 7.3
>

> thanks in advance
> Arndt

Roberto Moral
SR. UNIX Systems Administrator