event handler problems

Arndt Koenigsfeld koenigsf at de.alcove.com
Sat Nov 2 12:48:30 CET 2002

I have a problem with the execution of the event_handler scripts, its
not the same problem Luke Johnson had, because my scripts are not
properly executed, but in fact executed.

I took the example script from the documentation (modified with sudo
ldap restart) and it works fine if i run it as user nagios manualy.

If i kill the ldap service with killall slapd, the eventhandler gets
executed but the restart through the eventhandler does not work.

I can see that the event_handler executes the restart command twice, but
effectivly its not starting the service. After this the service gets
hard critical and the event_handler stops the heartbeat, doing exactly
what i want.
Same problems occur with any other service.
I figured out that a ldap start works but adding a line ldap stop
before does not. I tried /sbin/service stop; /sbin/service start with
same results.
Perhaps the reason for the problem is the exit code from the stop
command. It fails because there is no process to stop anymore.
On the other hand the scripts works fine if i start by hand as user
nagios and i took the example....

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong or what i missed ?
I use nagios-1.0b6 (tried nagios-1.0b3 with same problems) on RH 7.3

thanks in advance
Arndt

--
Arndt Koenigsfeld <koenigsf at de.alcove.com>