notifications for recovery, but not on error

Greg Haygood ghaygood at brightlane.com
Sat Nov 2 02:27:57 CET 2002

I'm having a frustrating problem with the notifications.  Don't remember
anything coming across the list in the last couple of months, and there's
nothing in the archives that I can find.  Some of my hosts/services react
the way I expect them to.  A lot of them don't, and I can't figure out why.

I'm simulating outages with ipf on the nagios host, by cutting off access to
various hosts and services.  When the outage occurs, nagios always notices
and logs the problem.  Sometimes it will log the H/S NOTIFICATIONs, other
times it won't.  When it does, notifications go out fine;  when they don't,
nothing (obviously).  However, when I re-enable the access (by turning off
ipf), I get recovery notices for everything, including the H & S that I
didn't receive outage notices for.  The notifications info for any host or
service reflect the same:  no problems were reported, but all recoveries
were.  Argh.

My timeperiods are all 24x7.  The ones that work are in two hostgroups, but
all the other groups look the same (and some are configured the same, except
for name & label).  My contacts and contact groups look fine.  I've
forcefully re-enabled all checks and notifications via a * hostgroup.  I've
zero'd the retention variables and killed the state retention file.  Nada.

Anyone have any ideas, or seen something similar to this?  Does this make
sense?  I've been pounding on it most of the week, so my head's a little
foggy by now.

My configs are split among a lot of files, but I'll post if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

-g

--
Greg Haygood