Nagios processes hanging around for a long time

Nelson, Ben bnelson at rightnow.com
Mon Dec 30 20:45:43 CET 2002

I am currently running Nagios 1.0 and I always seem to have a lot of nagios
processes hanging around after they have done their checks.  As a result,
many service checks take a long time to complete (4-5 minutes in some
cases).

To try and debug this I attached strace to several of them, and got very
similar output every time.  Here is a sample:
write(7, "servername\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"...,
504) = 504
------------------ insert long pause here ----------------------------
close(7)                                = 0
_exit(0)                                = ?

All of the processes that seem to take a long time to complete seem to be
waiting on IO somewhere, since the write call takes quite a while to
complete.  I can't seem to figure out which file they are writing to here.
Does anybody know?

--Ben

Ben Nelson
Sr. Systems Administrator, Hosting