check_dig woes

Eric Gregory eric at gatewayconnections.com
Fri Dec 27 17:51:53 CET 2002

I'm trying to monitor DNS service using the check_dig command, unfortunately it doesn't seem to compile into the checkcommands.cfg by defualt so I'm guessing I have to add it manually, I've done so using section 1 below,  I then added section 2 to services.cfg to implement a check of the server.  I'm sure I've done it wrong but I can't find an example of the right way to do it.  status.cgi tells me the status is unknown and the status information is DNS problem - No ANSWER SECTION found

I am running on freebsd 4.5, nagios 1.0, apache2.0  Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong, I'm pretty sure it's in my checkcommands.cfg but I couldn't find a proper configuration for the command anywhere.

Thanks
Eric

-----Section 1------
>From checkcommands.cfg

# 'check_dig' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_dig
        command_line    $USER1$/check_dig -H $HOSTADDRESS$
}

-----Section 2------
from services.cfg
define service{

        host_name                       ns
        service_description             DNS
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  admin
        notification_interval           240
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_dig
        }