Plugin not woeking ......

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Dec 27 00:30:07 CET 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Atul Shrivastava [mailto:atulsh at hclinsys.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 7:11 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net;
nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Plugin not woeking ......

Hello All,

My problem is that I want to monitor a network which consists of WinNT, 2K,
Linux, Switches and routers. Can anyone tell me a way in which I can monitor
all these things convenently and quickly.

I would recommend:

- Nagios
- Nagios plugins
- NSClient
- NRPE

 Basically I want to monitor these using SNMP only. Is there a way out.

In that case, don't use NSClient or NRPE.  Use the check_snmp plugin.

Further, I configured the NRPE Plugin in Linux machine but the plugin is not
working correctly and the Nagios is unable to communicate to them.

Hmm.  I thought you only wanted to use SNMP...?  Is it safe to say you've
decided to use NRPE too?

How have you determined that Nagios isn't communicating with NRPE?  Have you
tried to do basic check_nrpe tests on the command line?  Can you telnet to
port 5666 on the client from the Nagios server?  Do you have any logfile
output showing the errors?  Don't overwhelm us with 100KB of data, but also
don't simply say "is not working correctly".

For the WinNT, When I install NSClient in my WinNT machine, then the
installation is  complete and it is running in the Service but it is not
making any effect on the Nagios Console.

I thought you only wanted to use SNMP (and NRPE)...?  Is it safe to say
you've decided to use NSClient too?

Did you read the README file that came with NSClient?  It gives you very
useful examples of what you can use in your checkcommands.cfg.  Granted,
they're in the 'old' format, so here's one example of something that you
might find useful:

define command{
        command_name    check_nt_cpuload
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 1248 -v CPULOAD
-s $ARG1$ -l $ARG2$
        }

And here's an example of something you might put in services.cfg:

define service{
        host_name                       itdmlw04
        use                             icmp
        service_description             W2K CPULoad
        contact_groups                  windows-admins
        check_command
check_nt_cpuload!MyPassword!10,80,95,60,80,95,1440,80,95
        }

Can anyone tell me the problem and why this is happening so. Also tell me
what all is required on the management server (Nagios) side.

<rant>

I strongly urge you to read the documentation, because otherwise that's
exactly what will be regurgitated here.

I hate to say this, but your request is too broad.  You might as well be
requesting, "Hi, could you please share your 15 years of UNIX sysadmin
experience in 25 words or less?"  You've been extremely vague on describing
the problem you're experiencing, and have seemingly changed your design
requirements (SNMP vs. NRPE & NSClient).  You can't expect a physician to
help you if you simply say, "I don't feel well," especially from halfway
around the globe, and especially not if you say, "I don't want to take
anything except a liquid medication" in one sentence, and then "oh by the
way, I'm taking pills and haven't really read the literature regarding
recommended dosage or contraindications or even if it's good for what ails
me."

Have you got Nagios to successfully monitor *anything* in your environment?
If not, I suggest you put SNMP, NRPE and NSClient back on the shelf, and
start out with a simple check_disk on the local Nagios host itself.  Once
you get that working, try having Nagios do some very basic monitoring of
another host using, say, check_http, or the appropriate plugin for whatever
network service you're interested in monitoring.

Have you installed NRPE on the remote host?  Did you remember to install the
plugins on the remote host, too?  Do they work?  Are they compiled for that
architecture?  How are you starting the nrpe daemon?  What's one line out of
the nrpe.cfg file that you can give us which is clearly not working?  What
command line test did you do on the remote host with that very same plugin
which shows that it works/doesn't work?  Did you try to run check_nrpe on
the remote host and connect to itself (localhost)?  Can you run check_nrpe
on your Nagios server (checking the remote host) with similar success?

I could go on, but the vast majority on this list have already been there,
done that.

I'm not trying to discourage you from using Nagios; I'm a huge fan, and
believe that as the number of users grows, the better the base of knowledge
and experience.  Try to be more explicit in your requirements/goals/problem
determination (cut-paste from logfiles, for example, "X works but Y does
not, and they're almost identical and here are the config descriptions for
each," for another example).  If a dancing giraffe wearing pink-and-green
striped pyjamas suddenly appears with a marker in its mouth and draws "Host
fuzzbang is down" on the wall, then this might be worth mentioning, too.

</rant>

(Incidentally, if you do have a plugin for the dancing giraffe, I'm sure
there might be some interest on the list.  ;-)

Now, let's see some simple (basic) examples for each scenario you're having
difficulties with.  Config file snippets would be useful, too.

jc

Thanks in advance.

Regards and have a nice day,
                            Atul Shrivastava