Unique (?) situation (multiple host NICs/services) - HARD

Rue Turner rue at thinlayer.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 22:23:00 CET 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 07:53, Greg Vickers wrote:

> We have the following situation:

<snip>
> I currently monitor each NIC on each Host as a separate host and perform
> all service checks of Host A/B on each NIC. Redundant for most checks
> (disk space, uptime etc) except for SERVICE_x as we need to know that
> SERVICE_x on each host is serving each subnet. No worries.
</snip>

This is a really common scenario and I don't know if N can actualy deal
with multi-niced boxes any more friendly than it does. I looked into it
and eventually gave up. A technique you might consider is using service
dependencies but this could get messy to maintain. Another would be to
use the check_cluster plugin to tie the services accross the nics on
each box but again this means increased maintenance. AFAIK there isn't a
solution out-of-the-box. If there is I'd be as excited as you!

> Since I'm in Xmas mode, i'm going home to drink and think about
> host/service dependancies over the weekend and how I might be able to
> set them up so that I don't get circular dependancies etc. Beer is good.

CORRECTION: Beer is god - I think that was just a tpo though ;)

> p.s. Why do these questions always seem to come to me on Friday
> afternoon??? :)

Vickers' Law of Productivity?

                      r u e  t u r n e r
  · t · h · i · n · l · a · y · e · r ·

-- Success is something I will dress for when I get there, and not
until.