Unique (?) situation (multiple host NICs/services) - HARD

Greg Vickers greg_vickers at mbox.com.au
Fri Dec 20 08:53:04 CET 2002

Hi all,

We have the following situation:

Host A runs SERVICE_1.
Host A has multiple (anywhere between 2-5) NICs.
Each NIC is on a separate subnet and provides SERVICE_1 to each subnet.

Host B runs SERVICE_2.
Host B has multiple NICs on the same subnets as Host A.
Host B, SERVICE_2 provides a backup for SERVICE_1 on the same subnets.
(If clients time-out connecting to SERVICE_1 on Host A they try
connecting to SERVICE_2 on Host B on the same subnet)

I currently monitor each NIC on each Host as a separate host and perform
all service checks of Host A/B on each NIC. Redundant for most checks
(disk space, uptime etc) except for SERVICE_x as we need to know that
SERVICE_x on each host is serving each subnet. No worries.

In the event of a failure, getting multiple emails/winpopups isn't a big
deal. I have just gotten my paging working and wish to avoid multiple
pages at 1am in the event of a host failure.

Further, I want to only be notified if BOTH hosts stop providing
SERVICE_x on a particular subnet, or if BOTH hosts go down.

Got all that? Good. :) (I told you it was hard :) )

Since I'm in Xmas mode, i'm going home to drink and think about
host/service dependancies over the weekend and how I might be able to
set them up so that I don't get circular dependancies etc. Beer is good.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has set up something vaugely
like this situation and if so, how the b00rk did you do it???

Merry Xmas and all that,
Greg Vickers

p.s. Why do these questions always seem to come to me on Friday
afternoon??? :)