Extended Info & Status Log with MySQL

Chris Stankaitis chris.stankaitis at datawire.net
Fri Dec 20 14:30:58 CET 2002

Between a collegue of mine we have made Nagios into i686 RPM's for RH
and have installed and confgured them, for the most part everything is
working great we compiled in mySQL support for everything, and for the
most part that is working well as well... I  just have  3 small little
things that are giving me greif...

1) whenever I start/restart Nagios it complains about not being able to
find /var/log/status.log but since it's compiled the MYSql Support into
Nagios..
and The Tables exits it wants the nagios user has access to them so it
shouldn't even be looking for /var/log/status.log any Ideas as to why
it's throwing this error and how to stop it?? it doesn't APPEAR to
effect Nagios hoever I can't turn on "Nagios Process Command Check"
because it'll throw an error since the log doesn't exist... qustion 1b
would be how do I change the cmd line arg for Process Command Check to
look into the DB rather then looking for the flat file.

2) This Ext info thing.. I am trying to get those nifty little icons
working :).. ON RH All HTML is locate in /usr/share/nagios I installed
the image-pack to /usr/share/nagios/images/logos

in my cgi.cfg my physical_html_path=/usr/share/nagios

Since I also compiled DB support I am supose to put all that stuff in
there... I populate a few feilds of the DB but it's still not loading
the icons GRR...

mysql> select * from hostextinfo;
+-----------+-----------+------------+------------+----------------+----------------+------+------+--------+--------+--------+----------------+----------------+
| host_name | notes_url | icon_image | vrml_image | gd2_icon_image |
icon_image_alt | x_2d | y_2d | x_3d   | y_3d   | z_3d   | have_2d_coords
| have_3d_coords |
+-----------+-----------+------------+------------+----------------+----------------+------+------+--------+--------+--------+----------------+----------------+
| win2k-server.ca  |           | win40.gif  | win40.jpg  | win40.gd2
   | Win2k Server   |    0 |    0 | 0.0000 | 0.0000 | 0.0000 |
     0 |              0 |

The cgi config does have the xeddb stuff.... and the DB Help on the
nagios site doesn's say I need to add the same info to the resources.cfg
so I am a little stumped as to why it isn't working... do I need to tell
it where the logos are somewhere I am missing I wonder...

3) why is it when I go to Host Detail about 90% of the servers being
monitored report under "status information" "Host assumed to be up)
while a few servers at random (it seems) report their ping?? how can I
get all servers to report their ping?

--Chris