Apache authentication and Nagios

Fri Dec 13 03:53:30 CET 2002

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and apologise for the
stupidity of mine.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 07:30:12PM -0600, Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:

> Stanley Hopcroft wrote:
> > mod_apache + Apache::AuthenSMB + Authen::SMB (NT domain
> > authentication) works beautifully.

There is no such thing as mod_apache; I meant mod_perl, the Apache with
a Perl intrepeter (like Nagios can have) built into it that creates a
very extensible frame work for writing Apache modules (such as
Apache::AuthSMB) in Perl.

> > All modules from CPAN.
>
> I tried my hand at getting this to work.  Installed Apache::AuthenSMB and
> Authen:SMB without any grief.  I couldn't find a mod_apache on CPAN.

mod_perl is available from www.apache.org (mod_perl link I think). It is
a substantial set of patches and Perl to rebuild a Perlified apache from
the Apache source (so unless you get a prebuilt apache + mod_perl, you
need the Apache source as well).

Here is what Apache looks like with it mod_perl :-

tsitc> /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_perl.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec
tsitc>

You can also get prebuilt apache + mod_perl (eg FreeBSD packages, must
be RPMs etc).

> When I change the .htaccess as per the man page, it fails.  The Apache
> logfile reports:
>
> [Thu Dec 12 18:53:01 2002] [error] Can't locate object method
> "get_basic_auth_pw" via package "Apache" (perhaps you forgot to load
> "Apache"?) at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/AuthenSmb.pm line 12.
>
> I stopped/started Apache, just in case that was the problem.  No joy.  I
> checked with CPAN to install Apache, and it says that "Apache is up to
> date."
>
> Suggestions?

I beg your pardon.

However, it does work very nicely.