question

Jeff McKeon jsm at inpro.net
Thu Dec 12 20:04:10 CET 2002

Jeremy,

actually it's a long story but it's a home grown smtp server for use
over satellite connections.  Our company provides email services with a
proprietary software over sat.  Right now we have our support people
watching the servers 24/7 for problems.  On of the key indicators they
watch is the mail queue.  If I had a plugin to alert them when the
number of messages that are queued gets too high, then they could get
more sleep.

the plugin actually just needs to monitor the number of files in a
directory.  This might also be good for seeing when log files pile up or
anything of that nature.

In my particular situation, the files are stored in a samba share on a
linux box until the smtp server makes a connection and then retrieves
them.