Status returning to normal ?

Brian Ipsen Brian.Ipsen at andebakken.dk
Thu Dec 12 17:23:43 CET 2002

Hi!

 Example - Something critical has happendend on a host (or router) - which
initiates a snmp trap. The trap is received by snmptrapd on the nagios host,
and processed as an external/passive service-check - setting the service to
warning or critical. If no further traps are received within 2 minutes (and
the check interval is 2 minutes) - will the status for that service fall
back top OK - or will it remain in state warning/critical (depending on the
submitted result) ? I can not depend on the device to send another trap to
tell me, that things are OK again (that is why I need nagios to make an
alert - and then the status should go back to OK, because otherwise I'll not
be notified next time a snmp trap is received). But the right way is
probbaly to define the service as Volatile.

Regards,

/Brian