Permissions Error (Could not stat() command file )

Potter, G M (Greg) GPotter at MarathonOil.com
Mon Dec 9 18:39:42 CET 2002

Chris I recommend running strace on your httpd process.  This will show you exactly what is going on, which file it is trying to open, and I think the user/group info.  On Solaris I add 'truss -aef -o /tmp/httpd.txt -wall -r all /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd' to the apachectl startup script.  I don't know what the strace options are under linux, but they should be in the man page.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Losch [mailto:Chris.Losch at newham.gov.uk]
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 11:05 AM
To: 'Jon Lyons'
Cc: 'nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] RE: Permissions Error (Could not stat() command file )

Jon,
I am 99% sure, (from what I read in the ps -ef output, and httpd.conf)

Relevant part from httpd.conf
# If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must run
# httpd as root initially and it will switch.
#
# User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd as.
#  . On SCO (ODT 3) use "User nouser" and "Group nogroup".
#  . On HPUX you may not be able to use shared memory as nobody, and the
#    suggested workaround is to create a user www and use that user.
#  NOTE that some kernels refuse to setgid(Group) or semctl(IPC_SET)
#  when the value of (unsigned)Group is above 60000;
#  don't use Group #-1 on these systems!
#
User apache
Group apache

I've even tried changing Group to 'nagiocmd', no luck with that either.

NOTE This is APACHE 2 as supplied by REDHAT 8 CD's
Server version: Apache/2.0.40

Thanks for your suggestion anyway,

I'm starting to wonder if this is an issue with Nagios on Apache2, has anyone else got this working successfully?

Chris

. Sign up  <http://rd.yahoo.com/mail/mailsig/*http://mailplus.yahoo.com> now