Permissions Error

Chris Losch Chris.Losch at newham.gov.uk
Fri Dec 6 13:41:26 CET 2002

FYI,

I have just built up a clean install of Redhat 8, and Nagios1.0
I have got Authentication setup and working ok (I can view cgi's), however I
am unable to send commands from the Web Pages to Nagios (Scheduling Checks
etc.)

I am recieving the error

  Error: Could not stat() command file
'/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd'!
  The external command file may be missing, Nagios may not be running,
and/or Nagios may not be checking external commands.
  An error occurred while attempting to commit your command for processing.
:(

If possible I would suggest you backup the config CGI's (hosts services etc)
and start over, it seems to be easier than troubleshooting.
Chris... yup another Chris.

Just for reference I've included the bits below so you can cross reference
your config files.

cgi.cfg
-------
authorized_for_system_information=xxxx,nagiosadmin,
authorized_for_system_commands=xxxx,nagiosadmin,
authorized_for_configuration_information=xxxx,nagiosadmin,
authorized_for_all_hosts=xxxx,nagiosadmin,
authorized_for_all_host_commands=xxxx,nagiosadmin,
authorized_for_all_services=xxxx,nagiosadmin,
authorized_for_all_service_commands=xxxx,nagiosadmin,

.htaccess (in /usr/local/nagios/share/ and  /usr/local/nagios/sbin/)
---------
AuthName "Nagios Access"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users

/usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
------------------------------------
nagiosadmin:<encrypted>

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (added the following, otherwise, no changes from
default)
--------------------------
ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/local/nagios/sbin/
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/sbin/">
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /nagios/ /usr/local/nagios/share/
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share">
    Options None
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

/etc/local/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg
----------------------------------
define contact {
contact_name                   nagiosadmin
alias                          Nagios Admin
service_notification_period    24x7
host_notification_period       24x7
service_notification_options   w,u,c,r
host_notification_options      d,u,r
service_notification_commands  notify-by-email,notify-by-epager
host_notification_commands     host-notify-by-email,host-notify-by-epager
email                          nagios-admin at localhost.localdomain
pager                          pagenagios-admin at localhost.localdomain
}

/etc/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
---------------------------------
#
# nagios.cfg - Config file for Nagios (www.nagios.org)
#
# Written by Nagat. Manually editing this file is a bad idea since Nagat
will
# overwrite it. Delete the nagatobj.dat file in the nagios/etc directory to
# reread the Nagios configuration.
#
log_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/misccommands.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contactgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/dependencies.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/escalations.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/timeperiods.cfg
resource_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/resource.cfg
status_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log
nagios_user=nagios
nagios_group=nagios
check_external_commands=1
command_check_interval=-1
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
comment_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/comment.log
downtime_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/downtime.log
lock_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock
temp_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.tmp
log_rotation_method=d
log_archive_path=/usr/local/nagios/var/archives
use_syslog=1
log_notifications=1
log_service_retries=1
log_host_retries=1
log_event_handlers=1
log_initial_states=0
log_external_commands=1
log_passive_service_checks=1
inter_check_delay_method=s
service_interleave_factor=s
max_concurrent_checks=0
service_reaper_frequency=10
sleep_time=1
service_check_timeout=60
host_check_timeout=30
event_handler_timeout=30
notification_timeout=30
ocsp_timeout=5
perfdata_timeout=5
retain_state_information=1
state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.sav
retention_update_interval=60
use_retained_program_state=0
interval_length=60
use_agressive_host_checking=0
execute_service_checks=1
accept_passive_service_checks=1
enable_notifications=1
enable_event_handlers=1
process_performance_data=0
obsess_over_services=0
check_for_orphaned_services=0
check_service_freshness=1
freshness_check_interval=60
aggregate_status_updates=1
status_update_interval=15
enable_flap_detection=0
low_service_flap_threshold=5.0
high_service_flap_threshold=20.0
low_host_flap_threshold=5.0
high_host_flap_threshold=20.0
date_format=euro
illegal_object_name_chars=`~!$%^&*|'"<>?,()=
illegal_macro_output_chars=`~$&|'"<>
admin_email=nagios
admin_pager=pagenagios