Email Server

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Thu Dec 5 18:08:28 CET 2002

If I understand your question correctly, you have no problem with mail
alerts being delivered to the local Nagios host, but you'd like to have them
forwarded to another host.  Normally one would send to
user at somehost.example.com or user at example.com.

If that doesn't work for you, it means your MTA is mis/unconfigured.

1. Configure your MTA (typically Sendmail).  Many sysadmins don't care much
for Sendmail, so unless you're already versed in tweaking it, you could be
in for a long haul.  (Quick wins:  Do a "grep -i smarterhost
/etc/sendmail.cf" to see where you can set the smarterhost, and set the Dj
macro to how you want your sending domain to look like.  Other Sendmail
admins out there might cringe at this suggestion, however.  ;)

2. Replace the MTA with one that you know, and configure that properly.

3. Replace the MTA with a stripped-down one that merely forwards to a
smarterhost.  One such option is nullmailer.

HTH.

jc