check_nrpe socket timeout

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Dec 4 20:24:47 CET 2002

Yes!  I made this observation/complaint on the list a while back, back when
I had nagios installed on an underpowered old PC.  Nobody had a comment to
make.

Since then (much more recently), I've had it happen again.  This was when I
added quite a few NRPE checks across several Linux boxen, bumping my total
service checks from 800+ to 1100+.

Here are things I've done since that time:

- posted a question to the list:  scalability of NRPE vs. NSCA
- set max_concurrent_checks to 200
- split the software disk mirror (I/O was getting hammered)
- increased swap (from 50% of RAM to 200% of RAM)
- set max_concurrent_checks to 0
- noticed that while NRPE checks didn't fail, system would occasionally be
very slow
- set max_concurrent_checks to 400

I still haven't had any response to my scalability/NRPE/NSCA query on this
list.  I haven't ruled out NSCA as possibly a better way to go.  It just
means cobbling some scripts together.  If I knew for certain that the NSCA
approach is an order of magnitude more scalable than using NRPE, I'd jump on
it in a heartbeat.

BTW, the docs have suggestions for improving overall performance.  The one
suggestion which stuck in my mind was to get /usr/local/nagios/var onto a
ramdisk.  I don't think that would help in my situation, but I do have the
option of putting it over on another spindle (the former mirror).

Let me know if any of my observations/suggestions help you out.

jc