images displayed in pop-ups, but NOT status map. RH8.0

Pete Dubler pete at dublerfamily.com
Wed Dec 4 01:44:16 CET 2002

 Logos/images appear on pop-up windows but not on statusmap.

More precisely:  bringing up the statusmap, all of the "?" marks are
 gone, not just the one on the host named radio.  Also, when I mouse over
 the host named radio, the window that pops up shows the "antenna" logo.
  And, there is a green circle with two cross lines (like a rifle sight)
 over the host "radio" (bigger than the box that's also there).  (There
 is just a box, the host name, and "Up" at all of the other hosts.

 Why did I loose the question marks?  Why is there no logo shown for the
 host radio on the statusmap display (level 5, circular marked-up).

 Why is this so hard...?

(by the way, I have patched and reinstalled php to support gd, so pngtogd
 now works and I used a .gd file for my logo image, but that did not help)

Here is exactly what I did:

 I added the following to /usr/local/nagios/etc/cgi.cfg

     xedtemplate_config_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostextinfo.cfg

 I then set-up the following hostextinfo.cfg file

 ## Extended Information Configuration File
 #
 # added 12/2/02 by PD

 define hostextinfo{
   host_name        radio
   icon_image       antenna.png
   icon_image_alt   AntennaImage
   statusmap_image  antenna.gd
         }

 I left all of the other hosts alone.  (this is my wireless link, of course)

 For what it's worth, this file is owned by and grouped to nagios:
 -rw-r--r--    1 nagios   nagios        211 Dec  2 17:21 hostextinfo.cfg

 restarted nagios:  service nagios restart
 and for good measure, cleared the caches on my Mozilla 1.0.1 which is
 running locally on my nagios machine.

 All of my logos files are in the /usr/local/nagios/share/images/logos
 directory.  They all have clean ownership, grouping and permissions:  eg
 -rw-r--r--    1 nagios   nagios       1240 Dec  2 14:36 antenna.png

 Hint:  pngtogd generates the following error:

 No PNG library support available.
 Segmentation fault

 However all of the png libs and their devel libs are present on the system.

 ANY HELP IS WELCOME!