my bad!!!

Tue Dec 3 00:19:59 CET 2002

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your help in this matter and say

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:55:35PM -0500, Kenneth Ray wrote:
> My bad, guess im not paying attention, 4.71 for unix is the version.
> Stanley, i would bet it  is png,  that you are asked to download a
> plugin for. I dont think by default that the 4.79 supports png natively
> but of course I am probably wrong on that. (as usual) *smile*

that AFAIK the PNGs are not the culprits; browsing PNGs like
histogram.png with does not prompt for a plugin download (and the image
is rendered)

A packet trace shows no sign of reqests for 'unusual' objects, nor does
the web server access log.

I cannot see anything in the CGI source (displayed by the browser) that
looks bad.

It is not all the CGIs but only some of them including the

. status.cgi
. tac.cgi

but not the extinfo.cgi.

Got it finally, it's the AUDIO plugin

  0.000000 PC09011.aipo.gov.au -> squid.aipo.gov.au HTTP GET
http://cgi.netscape.com/cgi-bin/plugins/get_plugin.cgi?mimetype
=audio/x-wav HTTP/1.0

Disabling sounds should fix it.

> Sincerely,
> Kenneth Ray

So either,

1 Don't use a 4.x Nav browser with Nagios

2 Use a 4.x Nav browser with Nagios after you either

  - disable sounds in Nagios.Cfg

  - install the plugin

Opera and other contemporary browsers (eg Mozilla, but I hate its memory
demands) are fine (FreeBSD users have less choice in this regard).

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.