Availability reporting questions

Andrew Kemp andrew_kemp at pacific.net.au
Wed Aug 28 01:47:45 CEST 2002

Greetings Nagios users,

I am using the Nagios availability cgi to report upon our systems
and network availability for management - saving to a csv file and
then using excel to calculate.

However, management would now like me to report also upon trends
over time - ie: are we improving etc. As such, I need to go back
and post-process the logs files, which I have luckily kept so far.

As with most of us, we have moved services around, decommissioned
servers, added new servers etc. How can I gather the data for these
legacy servers and services from the log files ? The availability
cgi only provides stats on the hosts that are in the config files.

Another question on availability reporting - we are in the process
of integrating some other nagios/netsaint monitoring hosts into our
distributed setup.

Again, I need to retain the historical information in the logs for
reporting purposes. Can I simply merge the corresponding netsaint.log
files in the archives directory to retain the information ?

Thanks.

Andrew