NT/2000 Event logs and remote DHCP dumps

Maxim Berlin mak at rtsnet.ru
Mon Aug 26 23:29:44 CEST 2002

Hello Bosse,

Monday, August 26, 2002, Bosse Klykken <bosse at klykken.com> wrote:
[]
BK> But that's later. What I do miss now, is a good way for the system to
BK> fetch and/or process NT Event Log entries. I realise that this is a task
BK> for the plugins, but I would really appreciate any suggestions for
BK> solutions from other Nagios implementors on this list. I have a two-sided
BK> agenda here, first of all, I'd like a central resource to process all
BK> eventlog entries from satellite locations, as well as alerting staff
BK> if backups on satellite locations has problems, unexpected shutdowns
BK> on servers and so forth.
take a look at BackLog*,
http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/index.html:

BackLog is a Windows NT service that facilitates the real time central
collection  and  processing  of  Windows NT Event Log information. All
three event logs (Application, System and Security) are monitored, and
event  information  is  converted to comma delimited text format, then
delivered over UDP to a remote server.

BackLog  is  currently  configured  to  deliver audit information to a
SYSLOG  server running on a remote (or local) machine. A configuration
utility  allows  you to set the appropriate syslog categories, as well
as the target server that should receive the audit information.

BK> One last question, not so much related to Nagios, but to remote
BK> administration in general; are there any ways of retreiving a list of
BK> user's IP-adresses on a remote network? My intention is to make it a
BK> lot easier for the helpdesk staff to access the users desktops via a
BK> one-click access with VNC, perhaps with a link to a script-provided
BK> vnc-file in the inventory or helpdesk system. I was thinking about a
BK> DHCP dump of some sort, periodically reporting IP allocations to a
BK> central server, or something in that fashion.
hmmmm.... if you have ISC DHCP installed, take a look at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcpstatus/
, you may find this one useful.

Best wishes,
 Maxim                            mailto:mak at rtsnet.ru