NT/2000 Event logs and remote DHCP dumps

Bosse Klykken bosse at klykken.com
Mon Aug 26 21:41:52 CEST 2002

Hi. I have established a monitoring system combined with a sysadmin
and helpdesk resource center based on Nagios and other open source
software, and must really say that I find the system to be both
excellent and flexible. I do have some issues to adress regarding the
documentation, but I will research this into more detail when I have
more time, in order to give the Nagios maintainers my comments and
opinions for suggested changes to improve the documentation, as is
expected of anyone in an open souce project.

But that's later. What I do miss now, is a good way for the system to
fetch and/or process NT Event Log entries. I realise that this is a task
for the plugins, but I would really appreciate any suggestions for
solutions from other Nagios implementors on this list. I have a two-sided
agenda here, first of all, I'd like a central resource to process all
eventlog entries from satellite locations, as well as alerting staff
if backups on satellite locations has problems, unexpected shutdowns
on servers and so forth.

One last question, not so much related to Nagios, but to remote
administration in general; are there any ways of retreiving a list of
user's IP-adresses on a remote network? My intention is to make it a
lot easier for the helpdesk staff to access the users desktops via a
one-click access with VNC, perhaps with a link to a script-provided
vnc-file in the inventory or helpdesk system. I was thinking about a
DHCP dump of some sort, periodically reporting IP allocations to a
central server, or something in that fashion.

I would appreciate any suggestions, and at the same time thank Nagios
developers and the Nagios community in general for the collaboration
they put into this important project.

Thanks,
.../Bosse
--