Unexpected service alerts

Darren Gamble Darren.Gamble at sjrb.ca
Wed Aug 21 21:52:50 CEST 2002

Good day,

> The attempt column will show that it is 1 of 5, etc.  In
> other words, it
> is not 5 of 5.

> I am certain that it a service alert.  I am seeing these alerts on the
> "Service Status Details For All Host Groups" screen.

That's just a soft alert.  You won't get a hard alert (i.e. a page) until it
hits 5/5.

> As part of troubleshooting this issue, I have clicked on the service
> and viewed that page as well as the Alert History.  The history shows
> that the alerts are in a soft state and for an attempt that
> is less than
> the maximum check attempt.

That's definately a soft alert, yes.

> Thoughts or suggestions?  I would be happy to post any pertinent cfg
> files (or portions of), if it sounds as if my Nagios system
> behavior is
> not what others are seeing...

It's performing exactly as it should.  Soft alerts are shown on the .cgi .
I am not sure if this is configurable or if they can be filtered out.  Check
the status.cgi's source for HTTP parameters that it accepts.

A hard alert is required to generate a page, however.

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP
630 - 3rd Avenue SW