Unexpected service alerts based on plugin time d out - Bug, WAD, or Administrator

Darren Gamble Darren.Gamble at sjrb.ca
Wed Aug 21 20:25:02 CEST 2002

Good day,

> > I receive on-going (unexpected and undesired) service alerts due to
> > timed out plugins.  This occurs for pretty much any service,
> including
> > the check_ping, the check_http and check_nwstat (for abends, etc.).
> >
> > The problem is that the plugin timed out alerts do not seem to
> follow
> > the max_check_attempts for the service.  So, even if the previous
> ping
> > was okay, if the next ping check generates a time out, it
> immediately
> > generates a service alert (despite the fact that max_check_attempts
> is
> > set to 5.

This is not working as designed.  I often see plugins time out (for whatever
reason) but the plugin just returns a Critical status and are treated
properly as such.  Nagios can not tell why the result was generated; only
that the plugin returned "Critical".

When this happens, what does the "Attempt" column say? (what out of what)?

Also, are you sure you're not confusing a host alert with a service alert?
If the host check fails (which will be checked as a result of even one
failure on a service), you will get a HOST alert for the device, NOT a
service alert.  The host alerts use a different set of configuration
parameters.

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP