Unexpected service alerts based on plugin timed out - Bug, WAD, or Administrator

Nolan Martin Nolan.Martin at co.travis.tx.us
Wed Aug 21 20:12:18 CEST 2002

Thanks for your response.

This would address the alerts not being transmitted to the contacts (by
page or e-mail), but they would still show up within the web interface.
Granted, they would now be warnings, but it is still very annoying to
have to wade through and disregard them...

It really seems (to me at least) that the soft/hard state methodology
should apply to the time out as well.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Nolan

>>> nathan <nathan at sysadminsith.org> 08/20/02 04:35PM >>>
To stop the spam of alerts I recompiled my plugins so that timeouts
were
warnings and not critical then setup my contacts to not get alerted on
service warnings.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 04:24:20PM -0500, Nolan Martin wrote:
> I've seen this issue pop up several times in the archives, but
without
> any apparent resolution...  Perhaps someone can shed some light this
> time.
>
> I receive on-going (unexpected and undesired) service alerts due to
> timed out plugins.  This occurs for pretty much any service,
including
> the check_ping, the check_http and check_nwstat (for abends, etc.).
>
> The problem is that the plugin timed out alerts do not seem to
follow
> the max_check_attempts for the service.  So, even if the previous
ping
> was okay, if the next ping check generates a time out, it
immediately
> generates a service alert (despite the fact that max_check_attempts
is
> set to 5.
>
> Can someone tell me if this is working as designed, a bug, or
(always
> unlikely) administrator error?
>
> I am currently running Nagios 1.0b3 on Red Hat Linux 7.3.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nolan

Nathan