External Command problems

todd.jones at weirslurry.com todd.jones at weirslurry.com
Sun Aug 18 06:26:01 CEST 2002

I'm running Nagios 1.0b5 on RedHat7.3.  I cannot get the external commands
to run.  Every time I try, I receive the following message.

Error: Could not stat() command file '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd'!
The external command file may be missing.  Nagios may not be running,
and/or Nagios may not be checking external commands.
An error occurred while attempting to commit your command for processing.

I have looked back at previous posts and have not been able to find
anything over the past couple months.

I have followed the instructions in the documentation.  Here are the
details.

/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
prw-rw----     1    nagios    nagiocmd   0    Aug  17  22:52   nagios.cmd

/usr/local/var/rw
drwxrwS---     2    nagios    nagiocmd   4096      Aug  17  22:52   rw

Apache runs as the apache user.  Here's an example output from ps.
apache  14540 0.0 0.3 81988 8372 ?  S  22:52  0:00  /usr/sbin/httpd

I have created the group nagiocmd and added nagios and apache to this
group.

nagios.cfg
check_external_commands=1
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
command_check_interval=-1

cgi.cfg
use_authentication=1
All lines beginning with 'authorized_for' I have an '*' as the value.

I'm using base apache authentication which appears to be working fine.  If
I click on 'Process Info' from my Nagios site, it says OK for process
status, so, I think this is okay.

I'm stumped and have never been able to get this to work, even under
Netsaint.  I would greatly appreciate your time to look into this.

Regards,

Todd Jones
Network Administrator
Weir Slurry