External commands not working from CGI

Timothy Demarest demarest at arraycomm.com
Sun Aug 18 00:04:47 CEST 2002

Hello Nagios Users:

We've been running Netsaint, now Nagios for some time with no problems.
System is Solaris 8, with 1.0b5 (was 1.0b4 up until today) with MySQL as
the backend database. The CGI interface works flawlessly, and reports the
correct user logged in, etc. The one problem I am having is that external
commands are not processed from the CGI interface. For example, I cannot
disable notifications or service checks, nor can I leave comments. The
config files are configured properly to check for external commands, and I
am authorized in the config files along with the nagios user. The
permissions are also correct, and the user Apache runs as has access to
the command file. When I try to leave a comment, it says that it has and
that it may take a few minutes for the command to be processed. It never
is processed, nor is anything written in the logs (I have external command
log set on).

Interestingly, event handlers work fine from the shell. I wrote a simple
perl script to disble or enable notifications, and when I run that from a
shell as the Apache user it works great -- notifications are enabled or
disabled and show as such in the web interface!

Any ideas on why external commands work fine from a shell, but not from
the CGI interface?

Regards,
Tim