Monitoring Individual Programs

blange blange at imperialinc.com
Thu Aug 15 22:39:58 CEST 2002

As Quoted By Darren:
If you want to take it to the next level, you can use the NET-SNMP agent to
see how many hosts are running on any local or remote machine via SNMP
(you'll need to configure the agent for each specific process) which is
fairly easy to do.  We use this very heavily here.

I am wondering how to actually do this.  For instance, lets take Windows 2000 . . . Using SNMP I can look at the current processes running and if I know the PID I can use ./check_snmp to match the string of the service running.  However, everytime the machine would be rebooted I would have to configure Nagios with the new OID.  I am wondering if there is a way to check all running services and see if there is a string to match the program in question.  Is this possible?  If not, what are you referring to above?

-Brian