Service checks still not being executed

Darren Gamble Darren.Gamble at sjrb.ca
Fri Aug 16 23:30:13 CEST 2002

Good day,

> Darren,
>
> Did you reach a resolution to this?  I was following your thread, but
> it stops abruptly (unless I missed some e-mails).

It stopped abruptly.  There was no resolution.  However, I have not been
able to reproduce the problem since then, and my configuration has been
under constant tweaking since then, so it could have been any number of
things.

> I know Ethan recommended a few changes.  Did these changes
> resolve your
> problem?

No, they did not (most were already in place).  However the recommendations
involved changing how Nagios schedules its services.  The problem I observed
was that services didn't actually get executed when they were scheduled.

> I am currently running Nagios 1.0b3 on a workstation class machine
> using Red Hat 7.3.  I recall that you were running Nagios on a
> reasonably robust machine and were not experiencing a heavy load.
>
> Appreciate your feedback or any others that might be able to assist.
>
> Thanks.

I'm afraid I don't have much to offer.  The group here is a good bunch,
though.  Hopefully someone else will be able to offer some assistance.  As a
workaround, try stopping the service, destroying your status and nagios log,
and restarting the process (forcing Nagios to reschedule everything).  That
_sometimes_ worked for me, when I had this problem.

Some questions that might help people help you:

Do you have any service checks that have long scheduled intervals?
Do you note that most services get checked, while a handful don't ever get
checked?
Do those services have a scheduled check time that they exceed?
Do you sometimes leave the monitoring process offline for some time?
Does the problem start when you start up the process?

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP
630 - 3rd Avenue SW