SNMP Monitoring

Al Tobey albert.tobey at priority-health.com
Thu Aug 15 19:22:17 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 09:22, Subhendu Ghosh wrote:
> The CGIs currently have access to all the config files except resource.cfg
> where all the USERx macros are stored.
>
> One reason not to have snmp_community in the host definition is that it
> will increase the memory footprint because you will have to allocate a
> struct member for all hosts. Otherwise we could add NSClient passwords and
> other access method information as well.
Hmm.  I suppose you're correct, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to
make.  It's much cheaper for me to buy more ram than to spend a lot of
time managing SNMP communities in my Nagios config.

It might be nice to have host/hostgroup user variables that could be
used for SNMP or any other similar information.
define host {
	user_var1	public
}

> Keeping the community names in resource.cfg can be painless if one can
> make up a mapping between classes of devices with common communities and
> the USERx macro numbers.  e.g I use USER10 for all switches/hubs, USER11
> for all hosts/server, USER9 for all routers.
I used to do that.   Now (as of yesterday) I have a patch for nagios to
do what I asked about.  It's attached and has been tested against b4 and
b5.  It adds "snmp_community" to the host definitions and the
"$SNMPCOMMUNITY$" macro for use in the command or service definitions.
define host {
	snmp_community public
}
define command {
	command_line snmp_monitor_process.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C
$SNMPCOMMUNITY$ -e process_name
}

-Al Tobey
Unix Administrator

to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this
email in error please notify the Priority Health Information
Services Department at (616) 942-0954.