SNMP Monitoring

Al Tobey albert.tobey at priority-health.com
Tue Aug 13 23:38:04 CEST 2002

I suspect there is some animosity out there toward SNMP, but I would
still like to request a very small convenience.
I have written a tool to monitor processes on remote machines using the
host-resources mib.  It is in perl and uses the Net-SNMP library.  I am
working on getting permission to release it to the list.  But, keeping
track of community names is a real PITA in Nagios right now, so here's
my proposal:

define host {
	snmp_community     public
}
# - or -
define hostgroup {
	snmp_community     public
}

# a couple example commands
define command {
	command_name snmp_monitor_process
	command_line $USER1$/snmp_process_monitor.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C
$SNMPCOMMUNITY$ --command $ARG1$
}

define command {
	command_name snmp_monitor_multiple_processes
	command_line $USER1$/snmp_process_monitor.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C
$SNMPCOMMUNITY$ --command $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$
}

I know similar things can be done using the $USER?$ macros, but it's not
as intuitive as what I've suggested above.  Also, the CGI's don't even
really need to know about the communities, to prevent giving them to the
whole world.  Not like they're very secret anyways.

Later,
-Al Tobey
Unix Administrator
Priority Health

to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this
email in error please notify the Priority Health Information
Services Department at (616) 942-0954.