Host Down - no packets lost, just a rta higher than 10 ms

Jason Marshall jasonm at kelman.com
Mon Aug 12 21:05:11 CEST 2002

> I am having a problem with getting host down notifications when the
> hosts are not down.  There are not any packets lost just a higher rta.
> I set a high rta of 1000 in the command line.  It appears to actually
> be ms and not seconds, so I set it this high in hopes that I would
> never get a Host Down error because of a high rta.  However I still
> got a host down notication:

You're setting the wrong parameter to 1000.  You set the timeout for the
command to be 1000 seconds, which isn't what you want.

> command_line /opt/apps/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w
> 5,1% -c 10,5% -p 5 -t 1000

You've set the "warning" round-trip time to 5 milliseconds or 1% loss.

You've set the "critical" round-trip time to 10 milliseconds or 5% loss.

So as you can see, setting -w to 1000,1% and -c to 10000,5% might do more
like what you expect.

Note that, since you are only sending five packets per test, you're never
going to get just 1% or 5% loss.  Just 0%, 20%, etc.  So any dropped
packet is going to give you "critical".

---
Jason Marshall, Unix Geek, Kelman Technologies, Inc., Calgary, AB, Canada.

  From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
    "Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a wild monkey."

  "I have great faith in fools:
     Self confidence my friends call it."  -Edgar Allan Poe