[naemon-users] Naemon Sample Configuration Files

Frost, Mark {BIS} mark.frost1 at pepsico.com
Wed Dec 24 18:03:58 CET 2014

Justin,

Nagios (and thus Naemon) don’t care where those live.   Essentially all that host, hostgroup, contact, service, etc stuff is a collection of object definitions.   Most of them refer to each other in some way.  Nagios/Naemon cares that those references between objects are all complete.  So if a service definition references a host, there has to be a definition for that host object for it somewhere that it can read.   So it doesn’t care where if finds the definitions as long as they represent a cohesive configuration and there are no missing bits.

I’ve seen people make things in a variety of different ways.   When I first started, I saw one big configuration file.   As things grew, that made less sense.   things got split into separate files by type (i.e. all hosts in their own definition file).  As things grew further, even that made a little less sense so we broke things up into logical directories that matched what things we were monitoring and each of those directories had their own individual files for hosts, etc.

So really, the only thing that matters is that it makes sense to you and is maintainable by you.   If you look at the naemon.cfg file you’ll see that there’s a couple of different ways to make sure it finds your config files.   You can either list them out one at a time with the cfg_file= directives, or you can point it to a whole tree of *.cfg files that Naemon will recurse into with the cfg_dir= directive.

Hope that helps.

Mark